Here are the before pictures of this room. I know it is hard to see but there were so many holes to patch it looked like a bad Venetian plaster job.
First I patched, primed and painted this room.
My son really wanted diagonal stripes. I wanted a room he could have for a while and not out grow. This is what we came up with. When I started this I really had no plan as far as width of stripes and how many stripes. If I did I would have changed it along the way. I do my best work with no plan.
I started by snapping a chalk line then masking it off with tape. Then measuring up 18 inches and masking another line. (If I had someone around to help I would have done less measuring and more chalk lines.)
We have this weird wall in this room so I continued the stripes around this room. This was the trickiest part. It took three tries to get the angle right. I just went with what I felt looked right. My husband asked why I didn't figure it out mathematically. (How do you do that?)
After that it is just a matter of masking and painting. I tried a few things to see what would give me the crisp lines I wanted.
I tried using a putty knife to press on the tape making sure it was sealed well. That helped a little but the line was definitely fuzzy.
Once I had a line on both sides I could use as a guide, I was able to use my Purdy brush and get a good line without tape. This saved a lot of time. I had to go slow but I didn't have to tape. I love my Purdy brush.
(The top is blue paint not blue tape)
A great tip for a crisp line is to mix a little caulk with water and spread it over the edge of the tape with your finger. Let it dry for a minute, then paint. This creates a great seal. Just be sure to remove the tape while the paint is still wet.
(okay this pic is from a different project, but you get the idea)
This chocolate brown line was done this way. Super crisp lines but time consuming.
After a lot of touch up the stripes were finished
This project was very fun but really time consuming. I think the stripes took me at least 12 hours to do. I would recommend convincing someone to help you. I tried to use paint I already had and mix paint together to make the colors I didn't have (I have a lot of leftover cans of paint). For this project I spent $14 on paint and $7 on tape. I feel it is a big impact for $21.