Wednesday, November 3, 2010

Hanging Bed

Never watch HGTV with you daughters.  I am warning you, don't do it.  Or you will find yourself doing a project like this one.  My daughters love to watch all those before and after shows with me and while sometimes it feels like I am raising my best buds, it can really get you into trouble.  My daughter first saw a hanging bed on "That's so Raven" she knew she had to have one.  (Never mind that the bed she saw was on a TV set who had professional carpenters on the payroll.)  This is what we came up with. 

First the before ( I love "before and after" posts, but this is really a, "before and after so far" post, because this room is far from done.
We used a 20 year old (at least) bunk to make the bed.  We just cut it down, added bead board to the head board and foot board and put it back together.  (Notice the milk crate she is using as a stool to get up on this thing.  Like I said before this room is far from done.)

This project has a lot of steps so check back and I will walk you through what we did.

22 comments:

  1. I have a covered patio in my yard that this would be perfect in. I am going to hit your follow button now because I MUST see how you did this! Hope you follow me too?

    ReplyDelete
  2. OH MY! I better not show this to Mel. She will want to take it a step further and hang my dinning table or something. You're truly talented!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh!!! ...a hanging dining table would be SO FAB!!
    Gotta check into that one! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yes, but think how it would move when you cut your steak!

      Delete
  4. That is so amazingly cool. And you got me laughing, too! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have 2 daughters that also love to sit & watch HGTV with me & any type of home makeover show. They are nuts just like me for that stuff. I will definately keep them (BUT NOT ME) away from this blog b/c I too will be making these beds if they see it. I do however (just in case I decide one day to be nice) want to know how you did this. Too cute!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Full tutorial coming. I am super slow at this blog thing.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oooohhh....I really love it!! I know a few kids that would go crazy for this. I will be checking back with you. It looks amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have always dreamed of having a hanging bed on a porch!!!!

    I love this! But I will NOT show my daugher! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh WOW! I would have LOVED to have a bed like that when I was a teen! Heck, I might still love to have one like that! You are such a cool mom!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Lucky girl!! She must be the envy of all her friends. Stopping over from Weekend Wrap up.

    Stop over and enter my csnstores.com gift card giveaway if you can.
    http://www.ourlifeinaclick.blogspot.com/2010/11/another-csn-giveaway-and-please-vote.html

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is so cool! And I love the colors!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Seriously, you are a cool Mom! I am doing over my daughters bedroom now (she is 10)and not only do I not think I could figure it out, but I don't think I am that cool of a Mom, so kuddos to you!

    ReplyDelete
  13. You are amazing ... and so very brave! I LOVE the bed, the bedding, the colors -- all of it! That is seriously one of the coolest projects I've ever seen for a kids' bedroom. Amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  14. THat's totally awesome! I would have loved that growing up too@ You are a great mom!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Wow, I just saw this on Tatertots & Jello and couldn't believe my eyes! Now that is really going to the extreme, but oh so cool extreme.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hi there!! I am your newest follower. I found you on the crafty link up! I love finding new blogs and yours is lovely:) You can find me at www.bouffeebambini.blogspot.com
    Have a peek at my giveaways if you stop by. Everything is handmade and gorgeous!

    WOW this is amazing

    ReplyDelete
  17. Awesome! What a great Mum you are.

    ReplyDelete
  18. that is SO awesome!! If you have time come link up to Handmade Tuesdays @ Ladybug Blessings. www.ladybug-blessings.com

    ReplyDelete
  19. 2 things how will you get in and out

    ReplyDelete